2024 candidates are starting to feel the heat. But it might be too much for some of them.
And two Republican presidential candidates received threats that could end their campaigns.
The debate stage is a chance for Republican candidates to help make a name for themselves and defend their record live on air to millions of Americans.
But now the Republican National Committee (RNC) is threatening to ban two candidates from the next Republican primary debate over a potential violation.
Former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, are both running to be the 2024 Republican nominee for president.
They’ve exchanged some serious blows on the debate stage in the past few months, but now they seem willing to work together to fight back against the RNC.
Christie and Ramaswamy had intentions to make an appearance on Fox News’ Special Report together, but the RNC had other ideas.
The Committee told the two candidates that if they both participated in the Special Report program, they would be violating their pledge to only show up to sanctioned debates.
And by violating their pledge, Christie and Ramaswamy wouldn’t be allowed to go to the next official primary debate in Miami on November 8.
The two Republicans eventually caved to the RNC’s demands, but not without expressing their displeasure.
“It is very disappointing that we were threatened with exclusion from the Miami debate and future debates for trying to have a more complete dialogue with each other and the voters,” Chris Christie said in a post on X.
“Every campaign was offered that opportunity by Fox News and they have now been effectively banned by the RNC.”
Voters need more information not less. Our Party needs more debates and in-depth discussions not less. This is common sense and the bedrock of our Republic. When the RNC stops conversations between candidates from happening that is real cause for concern.
One of the main things…
— Chris Christie (@GovChristie) October 3, 2023
In a rare instance of agreement between the two candidates, Ramaswamy relayed the same complaints in an X post of his own.
“This is what a brokered and rigged nomination process looks like. I disagree like hell with @GovChristie, but when they asked me to face off with him, I said I’d be a man and do it – before the RNC intervened to cut it off.”
Last week’s RNC debate was a disgrace, and I’m starting to believe that was by design. This is what a brokered and rigged nomination process looks like. I disagree like hell with @GovChristie, but when they asked me to face off with him, I said I’d be a man and do it – before the… https://t.co/yy9G7L4kgA
— Vivek Ramaswamy (@VivekGRamaswamy) October 3, 2023
The RNC isn’t budging on their stance however, with a spokesperson responding, “The same candidates complaining about the rules governing RNC debates all signed a pledge and agreed months ago to not participate in unsanctioned debates.”
“The RNC will continue to enact a fair, transparent debate process and we will not give in to pressure from individuals seeking to change the rules to favor their candidacy.”
Chris Christie and Vivek Ramaswamy will still appear on Fox News, but now as separate guests.
Stay tuned to The Federalist Wire.