Donald Trump has his hands full in a number of court cases. But this is the biggest one yet.
And a Federal Judge has handed Donald Trump a ruling that changes his life.
Two media organizations requested access to information about former President Donald Trump’s “privilege claims” in a grand jury probe pertaining to the 2020 election, but a federal court refused their request.
In an ongoing Justice Department (DOJ) special counsel investigation, Politico and The New York Times had submitted petitions for access to the relevant information, but Chief Judge Beryl Howell of the U.S. District Court in Washington dismissed those requests on Thursday.
According to Politico, Howell said that she was prohibited from disclosing the information that the grand jury was deliberating behind closed doors by laws safeguarding grand jury privacy.
Upon submitting their demands for access to the data, Politico and the New York Times underlined the content’s historical significance.
“Accordingly, [the grand jury secrecy rule] does not permit such disclosure, at least for now and perhaps forever, and so petitioners’ applications are denied,” the opinion reads.
“The continued secrecy of certain details about that investigation is required for the sake of grand jury witnesses and the government’s investigation.”
In October, Politico and the Times petitioned the judge to open up some of the grand jury hearings, stressing the significance of the judge’s private decisions. The DOJ was against unsealing.
Both media outlets stated that they are thinking about appealing.
Brad Dayspring, a spokesman for Politico, stated “Politico is committed to the principle that a government of, for, and by the people is transparent with the people on such an important matter,” “We are reviewing the decision and evaluating next steps.”
“We are disappointed in the ruling. We will make a decision about whether to pursue further legal steps once we’ve had time to process the opinion that sets forth the rationale for the decision,” Danielle Rhoades, a spokesperson for the New York Times, said.
Former Vice President Mike Pence was reportedly subpoenaed in the inquiry earlier this month, according to reports.
Pence is the most recent member of Trump’s administration to be summoned as part of the investigation by special counsel Jack Smith into attempts to rig the 2020 presidential election. The highest-ranking official to have been called is Pence.
Pence’s aides, as well as Pat Cipollone and Pat Philbin, the former White House counsel, have all shown up at the courthouse to give testimony behind closed doors.
Donald Trump recently defended Mike Pence from these probes saying that the FBI and the DOJ should be going after the “riggers” and not the “very decent Mike Pence.”
“That’s really what he should be looking at, not asking a very decent Mike Pence why he didn’t send the votes back to State Legislatures for scrutinization, which he could have done. Get the RIGGERS!” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
The media talking heads info on the investigations so they can spin it and damage Donald Trump in the process.
But the investigations are not completed, and so far we’ve heard nothing that condemns Donald Trump in any way whatsoever.
Stay tuned to the Federalist Wire.